Guayaquil. Some photos belong to
  Travel Agencies
  Bars & Discos
  Medical Services
  Spanish Schools
  Internet Cafes
  City Map
  Visa & Consular Affairs
  List of Consulates
  Embassies in Quito
  Volunteer work
  Paid work

  General information
  Introduction to Ecuador
  Costa  Highlands  Jungle
  Galapagos Islands
  Brief history of Ecuador
  Compl. history of Ecuador
  Presidents of Ecuador
  Constitution of Ecuador
  National Anthem
  Mountains in Ecuador
  National Parks
  National Reserves
  Road trips in Ecuador

Visa & Consular Affairs

Visit & Non resident visas 

Resident visas 

Consular affairs

The Consulates of Ecuador are offices of the Government of Ecuador established abroad to assist and perform official duties required by Ecuadorian citizens overseas and foreigners, who wish to visit, do business or study in Ecuador.

Consular competence includes Notarial acts (Notary Public) and judicial procedures, civil registry (register births, deaths, marriages, divorces of Ecuadorian citizens), issuance of travel documents for Ecuadorian nationals (Passports and others), and other matters.

The Consul acts as Notary Public of Ecuador, with competence to authenticate documents and legalize translations of documents into Spanish. Documentation to be used in Ecuador must bear the consular stamp.

The Consul also issues "Certificates of Legal Existence of Companies" for foreign companies, which require such a document in order to legally establish themselves or appoint a representative in Ecuador. The Consulates issue visas to enter Ecuador, as well as Ecuadorian passports. They also keep official records of births, deaths, marriages, powers of attorney, and testaments (last will), of Ecuadorian citizens.

Please contact a Consulate of Ecuador for information on requirements, authorizations or any other paperwork.

U.S. citizens do not require a visa to enter Ecuador for up to 90 days; however, you are advised to consult the section of VISIT VISAS.

Visit and Non Resident Visas (NON-IMMIGRANT)

Visas up to 90 days (TRANSEUNTE / VISITOR, Visa 12-X)

Ecuador welcomes tourists and travelers from every country. United States citizens traveling to Ecuador for tourism, business, studies do not require a visa unless they expect to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days in one calendar year (that is, 90 days adding every entry in one year). The only travel requirements are:

  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Proof of economic means to support yourself during your stay in Ecuador (may be asked by Immigration authorities)

Nationals of the following countries require a visa and should approach the Consulate of Ecuador of their residence (list may change without notice):  Algeria, Bangladesh, Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Lybia,  Nicaragua, Nigeria,  North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine Authority,  Panama,  People's Republic of China, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tunisia and Vietnam.

If applying in the U.S., nationals of these countries will have to produce their valid U.S. visa or residence permit and fill out an application form (requirements listed above, plus 2 photographs).

Foreigners traveling in these conditions may not take employment in Ecuador. VISA 12-X status cannot be changed in Ecuador.

Visas for more than 90 days stay:

Foreign nationals planning to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days need to apply for a visa and must present the following documents:

  • Valid passport for more than 6 months.
  • Police certificate with criminal record of the State where s/he resides.
  • Medical certificate.
  • Return ticket (for air, land or sea travel).
  • Two photographs
  • Application form
  • Nationals of other countries applying for this type of visa in the United States must also present a valid US visa/green card.

Additionally, depending on the type of visa needed, the following requirements apply:

Student visas:

  • Certificate of course registration in an educational institution in Ecuador.
  • Certificate of financial solvency (either a bank deposit of a reasonable amount to cover expenses please inquire at the Consulate of your jurisdiction- with a letter stating the intention of the bank of forwarding to the student 10% of that amount per month OR a document signed by a relative stating that the student is supported by his/her family; OR a legal and duly notarized document indicating the student receives some other type of pension).

Validity: Up to one year, renewable.

Professional, technician, consultant, legal representative, or government official visas:

  • Documents showing s/he is required to stay in Ecuador for work related purposes and that her/his stay will be supported by the company/agency.
  • Labor contract legalized by an Ecuadorian Labor Court.
  • Technical or specialized professionals or industrial training personnel need a working permit from the Ministry of Labor.
  • Managers, legal representatives, or executive officers, with also require a certificate from the Superintendency of Companies.

Validity: According to the appointment.

Clergy, volunteer workers, and other members of religious organizations:

  • Certificate of the religious organization where the applicant will work in Ecuador, explaining why a foreign person is required, and a brief description of the tasks s/he will be assigned in Ecuador.
  • A copy of the Decree in which the Government of Ecuador authorizes the organization to work in the country.
  • A copy of the rules of the organization.
  • A copy of the document stating the appointment of the legal representative of the organization in Ecuador.

Validity: Two years.

Cultural exchange visas:

Teachers appointed to, or students participating in, exchange programs require:

  • Application from the Ecuadorian authority sponsoring the student/teachers visit.
  • A copy of the Agreement under which the program is carried out.
  • Teachers must sign a document stating that s/he will not receive any Ecuadorian funds for his/her work.

Validity: One year.

Tourism, business, and other activities, for more than 90 days and up to 180 days:

Foreigners who need to stay in Ecuador for over 90 days, for activities such as tourism, sports, studies, science and research, art, or business, will require:

  • Certificate of financial solvency to the satisfaction of the Consular Officer (either a bank letter stating the applicants monthly balance OR a personal guaranty of an Ecuadorian citizen or a foreigner residing in Ecuador in a duly notarized document OR a certificate stating the applicants income OR any other document that proves the applicant has enough funds for his stay in Ecuador).

Validity: 90 up to 180 days.

Resident Visas (IMMIGRANT)

Foreign nationals may apply to settle in Ecuador and obtain the residence. Resident visas need to be approved by the Immigration Board in Ecuador, so upon correct presentation of all the documentation the process may take 4-8 weeks.

There are different categories, please inquire at the Consulate.

10­I Retired persons who receive pensions from their native countries (pension from a stable source, at least US$ 8,000 a year). 

10­II Real estate and securities investors who are willing to invest in Ecuador the equivalent of at least 350 minimum monthly general salaries (S.M.V.G.), plus 100 SMVG per dependant, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the U.S. at least US$ 15,000). 

10­III Investors in industry who wish to export agricultural products, livestock, or minerals, provided they bring capital the equivalent of at least 600 minimum monthly general salaries to Ecuador, or amount specified by Consular Officer (in the U.S. at least US$ 25,000). 

10­IV Companies with foreign local agents who possess unlimited power of attorney to represent the company in Ecuador, provided that 80% of the company's local personnel are Ecuadorian. 

10­IV Technicians or technical experts under contract with a company established in Ecuador. 

10­V Professionals with university degrees recognized by a national university, who wish to practice their profession in Ecuador. Should the applicant's profession not exist in Ecuador, the degree must be locally certified. The applicant must also fulfill the requirements for such practice (e.g. bar).

10­VI Individuals economically dependent on spouses or on a blood­related family member (family). 

  top of the page

Copyright© MaQuiNet® 2, All Rights Reserved. Ecuador and Galapagos Islands Travel Guide

Quito, Cuenca, Guayaquil, Galapagos Islands Travel Guides